At The Common Thread you will find:
- beautiful fabrics that make you want to sew.
- books and patterns that help focus your creative energies.
- Tools and notions...
- to help you get the job done.
- Finishing touches...
- unique, imported, and natural fiber trims and embellishments.
- friendly and knowledgeable customer service. We are happy to answer any questions.
We are Austin's local alternative to the big box chain store sewing experience!
Come find your inspiration at The Common Thread.
- Exquisite silks - chiffon, shantung, dupioni, charmeuse, organza, noil, and habotai.
- Luxurious woolens - suiting, gabardine, challis, jersey, Shetland
- Fine cottons - Liberty of London Tana Lawn, Italian shirting, voile, batiste
- Knits - jersey, double knit, and ponte in wool, cotton, and rayon
- Japanese imports - Echino Linen/Cotton blend, Nani Iro double gauze, Kokka cotton prints
- Modern cotton prints - Alexander Henry, Robert Kaufman, Free Spirit, Art Gallery, Moda, and more
- Oilcloth and laminated fabrics - for crafts, tablecloths, and aprons
- Organics and Sustainables - knits and wovens in hemp, cotton, bamboo and recycled polyester
Special orders are welcome!
Trims and Embellishments
- Russian veiling for birdcage bridal veils and fascinators
- Natural fiber trims and ribbons
- Embroidered organza trim and applique
- Wide double faced ribbon for sashes
- Velvet ribbon
- Kwik Sew
- Amy Butler
- Decades of Style
- Favorite Things
- Oliver + S
Notions and Tools
- Woven interfacings for quality garment construction
- Machine needles and bobbins
- Gingher scissors
- Seam rippers, seam gauges, pins, hand needles
- Gutermann thread
- YKK zippers
- Closures, buttons, elastic
Books and Magazines
- Threads Magazine
- Burda Style Magazine
- The Colette Sewing Handbook
- One Yard Wonders
- Sewing For Boys
- Design It yourself Clothes: Pattern-Making Simplified
- and more...
Please contact us with ideas, requests, and feedback.